When I was 30ish, I had a minor identity crisis. In an effort to be something more than a mother to my children, I put together a list of things I’d always wanted to do but never thought I could. I’m more than halfway to 40, but I’m not quite halfway through my 40×40 list. It’s okay, though, because along the way I’ve finally started figuring out how to be a grownup.
And that was pretty much the point.
Every day of my life tends to be just another to-do list that never gets finished because as soon as it does, I put it on tomorrow’s list. Laundry, dishes, carpool, grocery shopping, cooking dinner—this is my life and it’s time to change that. This list isn’t intended to be much more than a to-do list of things I can actually cross off upon completion. Maybe I’ll get to some of them, maybe I won’t, but everybody’s gotta have a dream.
I have also created a 40×40 category where I intend to journal my progress, if any.
- Take a dance class.
- Complete our wedding scrapbook album.
- Get a tattoo.
Ride a zipline.
- Write a book.
- Start roller blading again.
- Get a college degree.
- Go on a vacation with just my husband.
- Take a cruise.
Find a way for the hubby to stay at home with us.
- Finish my girls’ baby albums.
- Learn to sew.
Run an entire 5K.
- Launch my business on a national level.
- Learn to ride a motorcycle.
- Take my kids skiing.
- Go to the Harvest Moon Festival.
- Eat a romantic dinner with the hubby at the Melting Pot.
- Get a passport — and use it.
- Get a manicure.
- Participate in a flash mob.
Visit Las Vegas.
- Let my kids eat cotton candy at the fair.
- Build a snowman with my girls.
- Kick a field goal and/or shoot a free throw in a profession stadium.
- Use my homemade compost in the garden.
Attend every major sporting event in the Indianapolis area at least once. Ride in a limo.
- Live in a house that has no permanent marker on the walls, no holes in the carpet, no food messes on the furniture and no handprints on the windows.
- Dance under a waterfall.
Meet a celebrity.
- Grow (and preserve) enough food to last all winter.
Be a bridesmaid. Picnic at the ocean. Renew my wedding vows.
- Watch a meteor shower.
- Foster a child.
- Take a non-conference girls’ trip.
- Find the perfect Little Black Dress.
- Learn to walk in heels.